"I don’t give a goddamn," Bush retorted. "I’m the President and the Commander-in-Chief. Do it my way."

"Mr. President," one aide in the meeting said. "There is a valid case that the provisions in this law undermine the Constitution."

"Stop throwing the Constitution in my face," Bush screamed back. "It’s just a goddamned piece of paper!"

Google

Monday, July 30, 2007

Hillsborough: Freed man still in limbo

Hillsborough: Freed man still in limbo: "TAMPA - Mark O'Hara left jail without handcuffs Wednesday, two years after he went to prison and one week since an appeals court ordered him a new trial.

He was serving a 25-year sentence for having 58 Vicodin pills in his bread truck. Jurors weren't told that it is legal to possess the drug with a prescription, which he had.

The Hillsborough State Attorney's Office has not decided whether it will seek a retrial in the Dunedin man's drug trafficking case."

And you thought you were safe with your fate being decided by a group of your peers? Not if the government leaves out little details, like the fact that you had a prescription for the pills you possessed. The sentence is also a prime example of why the war on drugs is simply wrong. He received 25 years for prescription pills. I was recently on Vicodin for the cracked rib that the gestapo Schenectady police gave me. It is a mixture of Tylenol and a tiny bit of an opiate. It is not a very strong drug at all, just barely enough to dull the pain a bit. Honestly, it is not much better than the ibuprofen I am now taking. Is that sentence justifiable? What would have happened if I had been stopped by the cops while I was walking home from the drug store? Especially seeing as I have already accused them of abuse...

Also, why is the State attorney still undecided about a retrial? It is quite obvious that this man was railroaded to begin with...

"
He sold two condos, his car and his bread business to pay for the appeal. But the state took the proceeds, according to family friend Eric Mastro, to pay toward the $500,000 fine that came with his conviction."

I think this is lovely too. The state tried to sabotage his appeal. Drop this war on drugs. It just fills the prison system with non-violent offenders, pushing out the violent ones. Drop the bogus war on terror while we are at it.

No comments: