"I don’t give a goddamn," Bush retorted. "I’m the President and the Commander-in-Chief. Do it my way."

"Mr. President," one aide in the meeting said. "There is a valid case that the provisions in this law undermine the Constitution."

"Stop throwing the Constitution in my face," Bush screamed back. "It’s just a goddamned piece of paper!"

Google

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Another Coffee Cup Down

A few months ago, in my local grocery store, I found some nice, large ceramic coffee cups that quickly became my favorite vessels for my morning coffee. I like large cups, because I get my fix much quicker that way. Unfortunately, I found the one I was drinking from this morning had a tiny crack in it. This would not have been a huge deal if the cup was made in America. Years ago, the FDA set standards for lead in ceramics, in order to reduce lead poisoning.

The fact is, however, that I do not know where this cup is from. More than likely, though, it was made in China, and with the recent news about such imports, I decided the best thing to do is to throw the thing away immediately, sacrificing my first cup of coffee along with it. It is a shame that our economic system is set up to need China's inferior merchandise, because I say we would be better off without the dangerous goods.

No comments: