The Raw Story | Congress apologizes for rendition and torture of innocent man: "Members of a Congressional committee have issued an apology to Maher Arar, a Canadian citizen who was wrongly detained at JFK Airport in 2002 as a suspected terrorist and subjected to extraordinary rendition to Syria, where he was tortured into making a false confession.
Arar thanked the Congressmembers by video link because, even though an investigation has cleared him of any terrorist connections, he is still on a watch list and not allowed into the United States. The Bush administration has never apologized to Arar and is working to block his lawsuit against the US government."
Arar thanked congress for the apology? I would have said screw you, you tortured me, and no apology is enough...
I find it funny that he was rendered to Syria for the torture. I seem to remember them being classified as a state that supports terrorism. I guess they are only useful when we need them...
Saturday, October 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment