"I don’t give a goddamn," Bush retorted. "I’m the President and the Commander-in-Chief. Do it my way."

"Mr. President," one aide in the meeting said. "There is a valid case that the provisions in this law undermine the Constitution."

"Stop throwing the Constitution in my face," Bush screamed back. "It’s just a goddamned piece of paper!"

Google

Saturday, October 20, 2007

ACLU: DoD sought citizens’ bank records - Army News, opinions, editorials, news from Iraq, photos, reports - Army Times

ACLU: DoD sought citizens’ bank records - Army News, opinions, editorials, news from Iraq, photos, reports - Army Times: "The American Civil Liberties Union said Sunday that newly uncovered documents show that the Pentagon secretly sent hundreds of letters seeking the financial records of private citizens without court approval.

The ACLU said an analysis of 455 so-called national security letters issued after Sept. 11, 2001 shows that the Pentagon collaborated with the FBI to circumvent the law and may have overstepped its legal authority to obtain financial and credit records. The ACLU has been reviewing the letters and the accompanying documentation over the past few days."

Is there anything personal left that the government does not have access to, legal or not? Call me paranoid, but I do not say anything that could even be construed as incriminating over the phone, in email, or in instant messages. Hell sometimes I do not feel comfortable talking aloud in my own damn house, but the extent of the spying on innocent people has gone so far as to make that a legitimate concern. (Not to mention that I have pissed off a few authorities lately...)

Many people seem to believe that spying should be okay if you are doing nothing wrong, but that is not the way America is supposed to work.

No comments: