"I don’t give a goddamn," Bush retorted. "I’m the President and the Commander-in-Chief. Do it my way."

"Mr. President," one aide in the meeting said. "There is a valid case that the provisions in this law undermine the Constitution."

"Stop throwing the Constitution in my face," Bush screamed back. "It’s just a goddamned piece of paper!"

Google

Thursday, September 20, 2007

The Raw Story | Senate deals legal blow to Guantanamo prisoners

The Raw Story | Senate deals legal blow to Guantanamo prisoners: "The US Senate Wednesday narrowly rejected an attempt to allow 'war on terror' prisoners at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, to challenge their detention in federal courts. Senators voted 56-43 in favor of the bill, but the final tally was short of the 60 votes needed under Senate rules for it to move forward. The bill would have restored the ancient writ of habeas corpus to inmates, giving them recourse to the US civil justice system."

What a surprise, congress fails again. I cannot fathom why any Senators would vote against this most basic of rights.

No comments: